I picked out a couple of sweater patterns for Bama, including the Child's Placket Neck Pullover from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. When I went to ImagiKnit to fondle yarn and spend a birthday gift certificate, I did not pick up yarn for me (despite finding …). It was pouring rain in one of our first, few, and furious storms this year. Bama and I picked our way around flooding sewers and waterfalls from rooftops. I chose yarn for her sweater (with help from the guy at the store who seemed annoyed with me) that was pretty, but if I'd been a thinking person, not someone picturing colors with total disregard for wash and wearability, I would not have chosen Malabrigo Silky Merino in Celeste (#417). It's a beautiful color. But Silky Merino for a toddler?
Yeah, I know. Duh.
I downloaded the errata PDF (now the free pattern linked above) and dutifully highlighted all the right cast-on numbers, increases, row counts, and so on.
Then I cast-on, started knitting, and whipped happily along to the sleeves portion. I added a sleeve. Something was wrong.
I'd cast-on the wrong number. Too few stitches. Out came nearly seven inches of body. I redid it. It looks fine, I had more time to work on my continental technique.
Sleeve number one, attached. Sleeve number two, attached. Knit, knit, knit, decrease, decrease, decrease. I decreased too many stitches and in doing so, realized that one sleeve was narrow. Huh. Rip, rip, rip back to the sleeves, take off one sleeve, frog it. In knitting it again, I found I'd forgotten to do the increases the first time.
Skimming directions is problematic for me. Clearly. My friend thinks it hilarious since I'm an English teacher and should be dutiful in all things reading. I am, unless it's tedious directions, which is why I'm a frequent and competent frogger. Sleeve number two should be ready for reattaching tonight.